The History of Snow Clearing350 men shovelled 250,000m3 of snow in an average of 70 days to clear at least one lane of the road in the years 1936 and 1937.
Since 1953 the rotary ploughs – Wallack system – and several GROHAG specialists clear in 25 days each year in April the 600,000m3 to 800.000m3 of snow between walls of snow up to 21 metres high.
The use of modern technology greatly extends the opening times on the Glockner Road. If it was only 132 days in 1937, one could visit the Glockner Road on 276 days in 1963. In recent times the opening times no longer orientate on climatic conditions, but also according to economic considerations.